Friday, June 5, 2015

Cleaning Your Fruits & Veggies

Summer is approaching fast and that means lots of berries and fruits that I absolutely LOVE! Fruit is nature's candy in my mind. All the sweet tasting berries and of course watermelon ALWAYS reminds me of summer during my childhood. Now that my kids love fruit as much as my husband and I it seems I have to buy a lot of it. I don't mind but cleaning it all can be tedious. So I decided to try something I read recently about washing it all with white vinegar. I was initially afraid that the vinegar would leave a taste on it but it didn't and it was so much easier! 

All you have to do is put 1 cup white vinegar and 3 cups water into a bowl, add your fruits/veggies and mix it around. You can also do it in the sink; however, mine was full of dished I had not yet put into the dishwasher so a bowl it was LOL. If you need to use the sink for as much as you have then make sure to keep the 1:3 ratio. So once you rinsed with the vinegar mix then run the fruits/veggies under water to give it a good rinse and rid it of the vinegar residue. I have a small portion of my sink (it's really useless other than for this) so I filled that up with water, transferred the fruit to the clean water and mixed it around. Then I dried the fruit (raspberries I made sure to just set on a papertowl and GENTLY pat dry but the strawberries and blueberries I used a towel and dried them. 

After cleaning them I placed them back into their original containers. I don't want to put them in sealed tight container because then moisture builds up. I also placed a paper towel in the bottom to soak up any water that gets released. 

Now all our fruit that we just purchased from the local market is not only fresh but now cleaned and ready to eat! Give it a try because it cut my prep time down in half! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG DESIGN BY ACM DESIGN STUDIO // POWERED BY BLOGGER