Wednesday, June 10, 2015

My Keys To Success!


So many times I get asked, "How do I get started?" To be honest, starting is probably the most overwhelming feeling and many people, including myself, just don't know where to start. I was lucky enough to have some guidance from my coach but I still figured out a few things that were necessary for me to be successful. I want to share with you some of these key practices that have helped me to be successful as well as many of the people I coach. 

First and foremost, you need to ensure you are eating enough! That may sound weird to some of you because the goal is losing weight but if you aren't eating enough then your body is going to store it. Food is what fuels you throughout the day. If you don't have energy, you're tired and hungry then you most likely aren't eating enough and/or the right kind of food. 


When I first started my clean eating journey I was shocked at how much food I ate in order to reach my target calorie intake. What many people don't realize is that when you are eating the right foods, you get to eat so much more! A good example is egg whites.....if you eat a 6 egg white scramble for breakfast then you are only eating 99 calories. So not only are you eating more for less calories but it's nutrient rich and will keep you fuller longer. It's a win-win! 

Here are some other tips that have helped me along my journey:

Drink 8 oz of water right when you wake up.
When I first started I read in Tosca Reno's The Eat-Clean Diet Recharged book that drinking water right after waking up will jump start your metabolism for the day. Adding a little lemon to it with some lemon slices will help detox as well. You will want to do this BEFORE eating!

Eat your first meal within an hour of waking.
This may seem impossible because let's be honest, with kids to get ready and off to school or a busy work schedule (maybe both) who has the time to make breakfast?! Your first meal doesn't have to be a HUGE meal though. This is often when I drink my Shakeology (hello the equivalent of 7 salads LOL) but you could also do something small like a banana and another glass of water. Maybe something like oatmeal or even just some scrambled egg whites. I try to make my kids whatever I am going to eat as well so then I just add a little extra for myself. Make your new nutrition plan work by making it easy. 

Meal planning and food prep are super important!
I usually do my meal plan on Friday for the following week. We do our grocery shopping on either Saturday or Sunday and then when we get home I jump into food prep. Food prep is when I make sure to portion out my snacks, wash and cut my fruits, and bake or grill whatever meats I need for lunches. I go a little more in depth about that in my post It Starts In The Kitchen. Meal planning and food prep is so important because it keeps you from making bad food choices because you are in a hurry. As the saying goes, "Failing to plan is planning to fail."


Measure and weigh everything when possible.
Measuring cups and a food scale are extremely important! These items will ensure you know that you are eating the correct portion sizes. A lot of people tell me that they just "eye" it and I hate to tell you but that doesn't work! I am over a year into this journey and I STILL use my scale and measuring cups. Actually, I use the 21 Day Fix containers now but my scale and measuring cups still get their use! What I'm saying is take the time to weigh your food. It will greatly improve your success! Check out Tosca Reno's video on portion sizes.

Eat every 2-3 hours.
This means you will likely eat 5-6 times a day. I know that seems impossible but this allows you to not only have the NATURAL energy you need to function but it will speed up your metabolism as well. I know we all get busy so I recommend setting an alarm on your phone that goes off every 2-3 hours to remind you to eat. You may not be hungry but it's super important to get your body into this routine. Once your body adjusts to this change your body will start telling you when those 2-3 hours have passed. 

HYDRATE, HYDRATE, HYDRATE!
You should be drink at least half your body weight in ounces each day! I know it sounds crazy and not possible but I promise it is. I am not a huge fan of just plain ol' water cutting up some fresh fruit and throwing it in to your water will give you some flavor. Some go to water additions for me are lemon, cucumbers, orange or even berries. Hydrating will help your weight loss but it also helps your skin look better and I promise you will feel so much better when you are hydrated properly. Just beware, potty breaks become very frequent LOL. 


Consistency is a MUST!
We ALL have slip ups....even me! The point is do NOT give up just because you slip up here and there. This is a lifestyle change and that's how you need to think about it. My motto is 80% clean and 20% fun. That means I still have my treats and my wine but it's all in moderation. When you have a slip up or had just one too many treats then just start fresh the next day....or even the next meal! Most importantly, don't beat yourself up!

Save the carbs for earlier in the day!
WHEN you eat certain foods matters! If you don't allow your body enough time to burn off the sugars and fats then your body will store it. No eating starchy carbs after 7pm or at least 3 hours before bed. Your fruit should be twice daily and I would say morning, around breakfast time, and then a snack. Although it's natural, fruits are high in sugar so you have to allow your body time to burn that off. 

Those are MY keys to success. This is what I have found works for me and many of my clients have put these into action as well. I'm not a certified nutritionist but I am someone that has been on this journey for a while now and learned these things through reading, researching and trail & error. 

I am always here to help you so please feel free to ask! What started out as a journey I was on has now become my passion. I LOVE helping others and I know that I can help you as well. Please don't be afraid to ask! XoXo

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG DESIGN BY ACM DESIGN STUDIO // POWERED BY BLOGGER